Friday, September 17, 2010

Homemade Vanilla Extract

You need:

* Quart Mason jar
* Lid and screw down ring
* 2 cups vodka
* 6 vanilla beans


1. Cut the beans in half lengthwise.
2. Add the beans to the jar.
3. Cover with the Vodka.
4. Store in a cool, dark place and shake every couple of days for at least a month. The longer you let it stand the more intense the flavor will be. I like mine to go at least six weeks. When it is just how you like it, strain it through a coffee filter or cheesecloth into dark bottles and seal tightly.

3 comments:

Savannah said...

Just in time to get it made for Christmas baking. Thanks Savannah

Anonymous said...

I am preserving some fruit, what portion of alcohol should I put in?
Thanks Kari

askauntiejane said...

I don't use alcohol in fruit. I save it for drinking. Unless your doing a rum-pot then when you add more fruit add more rum.I did it one year starting with strawberries and added fruit as it came into season.Very powerful,but great over the holiday's.