Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Tortillas

4 cups of flour
1/8 baking powder
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
1 1/2 tsp. sea salt
1 cup warm water

Mix the flour and baking powder in a bowl
Add shortening and mix with hands until you get a course meal consistency
Dissolve sea salt into water.
then add to flour mixture, if not coming together add a bit more water.
form dough into a ball cover for 20 minutes

I break the dough into twelve smaller balls with a bit of oil on my hands
Flatten each ball out into the size you want. Flour surface before rolling them out,getting them as thin as possible.

Preheat on medium heat cast iron works good for tortillas.
Lay them on the pan and flip 15-20 seconds. Bubbling is normal no oil is needed on the pan while cooking.

I make different sizes and freeze some for later. They taste good with some cheese and salsa heated for a bit.

2 comments:

Dana said...

My mouth was watering when I read this so made some and my boys ate most in one sitting. So didn't have any to freeze. Will make a double batch next time. Thanks Dana

Gabby said...

My family ate them right out of the pan hot with butter slathered on them.